Day

February 2, 2024

IDENTIFYING TEMPLE DONORS – “Cheung Ah Tze” 張阿四 Thomas See

By Juanita Kwok and Gill Oxley Amongst the temple artefacts Our Chinese Past (OCP) researched in the Temples project, is a pair of plaques in the collection of the Inverell Pioneer Village Museum, dubbed on the OCP website the “Names Plaque dated 1866” and “Donation Plaque dated 1866.” [1] Our Chinese Past member Paul Macgregor identified these plaques as having been made for a temple that opened in Rocky River in 1866. The names plaque lists the names of two firms and 153 people that were members of the “Yeung Fook Tong” association.[2] These members are given to have collectively donated one or more entrance adornments and door-like screens to the temple, including the Yeung Fook Tong Entrance Adornment.[3] So far only a handful of persons named on the names plaque have been identified. Now, thanks to family history research by Joanne Real and translations by Ely Finch, it seems likely another person has been identified – “Cheung Ah Tze”...
Read More