There were at least nine different temples in the New England North West region. Local histories state that the goldfields of Rocky River (modern-day Uralla) had a series of three Chinese temples built sequentially in 1857, 1866 and 1877. The tin-mining town of Tingha is also recorded as having “three joss houses” by 1885, with two of these opening in 1874 and 1883, and a fourth opening in 1901. The tinfield of Emmaville (originally called Vegetable Creek), had two temples, opened in 1878 and 1887.
Here are some historical images of the interiors and exteriors of some of these temples. As our research progresses, we hope to find out more details on these temples and their history, as well as provide detailed translations of the Chinese inscriptions in these photographs. For more information about the temples see Janis Wilton’s 2004 book Golden Threads, and her 2019 article The Most Beautiful Joss House: Chinese Temples in Emmaville and Tingha, published in the journal Chinese Southern Diaspora Studies (http://chl.anu.edu.au/…/chinese-southern-diaspora…).