Emmaville was once known as “Vegetable Creek”

Emmaville was once known by the name “Vegetable Creek” because of the large number of Chinese market gardens that were established there to provide fresh food for the mining population of the area during the tin boom that began in the 1870s and lasted into the early part of the 20th century. Emmaville Mining Museum today houses not only a world class collection of beautiful local mineral specimens, but also records and photographs relating to the area’s rich Chinese heritage. Two items of particular interest in Emmaville Mining Museum are an 1896 list of numerous Chinese subscribers to the Vegetable Creek Hospital fund and the 1893 Telfer’s Butcher Shop ledger showing Ah Hing, Ah Lin, Ah Sam, Pack Shin and Ah Nam as customers. It would be interesting to know whether there are descendants of any of the names on either of these lists still living in the area —  post by Our Chinese Past member Gilian Oxley

List of Chinese donors to the Vegetable Creek hospital fund in 1896. This list is on display at Emmaville Mining Museum— at Emmaville Mining Museum.

Telfer’s Butcher Shop Ledger 1893 showing names of Chinese customers at the nearby Tent Hill mining settlement. On display in Emmaville Mining Museum. Photo credit to Our Chinese Past member Paul Macgregor— at Emmaville Mining Museum.

Beautiful local tin specimens on display at Emmaville Mining Museum. It was the tin boom of the 1870s that originally drew Chinese miners and market gardeners to the Emmaville/Vegetable Creek area. Photo credit to Our Chinese Past member Paul Macgregor — at Emmaville Mining Museum.
Members of Our Chinese Past visited Emmaville Mining Museum in July 2019. Our thanks to Mr Ron Jillet and Ms Margie Haar who were generous with both time and valuable information on Emmaville’s rich Chinese heritage. Photo credits Our Chinese Past members Paul Macgregor, Juanita Kwok and Gill Oxley
—  with Ron Jillet at Emmaville Mining Museum
Joss House road - Emmaville
Joss House Road at Emmaville, July 2019 — at Emmaville Mining Museum.